Wednesday 24 February 2016

Where are the onions, then?

I've just realised how long it is since I posted anything about food - February's almost over and I've not joined in any foodie challenges or posted any recipes this month.

There IS a reason for it, and no, I'm not sick or off my food at all. It's just that part of my New Year's resolution to declutter the home is to declutter my mountains of books and old magazines. This has meant sorting through lots of them in a sort of snog-marry-avoid marathon - cook one more thing and then  decide whether to ditch it? Take it straight to the charity shop? Award it a permanent place on my bookshelf? So most of what I've been cooking has been from other people's recipes, rather than things I've created myself.

It's led to me rediscovering some great Old Favourites - currently I'm cheerfully revisiting dishes from Delia's Frugal Food  - and also to finding books I scarcely knew I had. In fact I picked up one book called "Lemongrass and Ginger" by Leemet Tan that I can only assume was a competition prize a couple of years ago, when I was feeling too ill to think about food so set aside to read at a later date, because I'm sure I had never opened it - and it is WONDERFUL. Thanks to that book and a recent trip to Hoo Hing's supermarket in Morden, we've had some of our tastiest ever Asian dishes recently.

Anyway, just to prove that I HAVE been cooking and eating, here are a few shots of things we've eaten since I last did any food posts, and a promise to Cheryl, Helen, Camilla, Dom, Caroline, Janice, Elizabeth, Karen and many more that I WILL be supporting your challenges again as soon as my declutter is complete!

Malaysian Tofu with Butternut sauce (Lemongrass & Ginger)

Kangaroo Meatballs on ciabatta with pickled red cabbage and chopped salad (Save with Jamie)  

Beef, beansprout and straw mushroom stir fry

Crispy pancakes with creamy chicken filling (BBC Good Food Feb 2016)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ahhh, nice to see a recipe here and such a delicious one at that!